Thursday, January 25, 2007

Whoa man, look at the colors!

Way too many buildings look way too boring at night time. Either they are just about pitch black, glow in orange or white. Little more creativity please. Use of colors, besides the orange, shouldn't be that challenging. I mean, take a look at this building here. Normally, I bet, that stairway would be lit with white lights but with a little creative use of colorlights the building looks actually quite amazing.

The Fennia building in downtown Helsinki is another good example of non-traditional lighting of a house. It is lit with lights that change the color every now and then and it is beautiful. But for some reason it feels like it is illegal or something to use any other color of light than white or orange to enlighten (public) buildings.

I should photograph that Fennia building too sometime.

1 comment:

Joonas said...

Actually, I think it might be illegal to use colored lights in Finland. The way buildings look is so tightly controlled by law. I mean, you need special permission for neon signs.

Recently I've begun to think that just maybe we don't really need so many laws and regulations.